I want my banana!!!


Yesturday night, I had met up with a friend at a Trung Nguyen cafe near my house. Not wanting coffee, we ordered two Banana Splits. When I looked into my dish and saw no banana I returned it! The waiter, then the manager, then another manager proceeded to demand why was I returning my dish.

Well, number 1, the dish was not what I had ordered, I had ordered a BANANA Split! Number 2, the picture of the dish shows a banana. Number 3, even the items listed under Banana Split : 2 scoops of vanilla, 1 chocolate, 1 strawberry, banana, and a chantilly roll shows that indeed the dish contains BANANA. Instead I get 1 scoop of durian (ewwww), 1 chocolate, 1 strawberry, and the chantilly roll.

By this time, there is about 5 or 6 people standing there staring at me like I was crazy. They argued that the banana was for decoration only and that it does not affect the taste of the ice cream. WTF? I was so mad, I kinda went off! I would not have ordered the damn dish if it were not for the banana. If the banana was just decoration, then it shouldn't have been in the picture. It was false advertising! I wanted my banana damn it!!!!

They blamed the main office, saying that they got the menu from the main office and that they didn't provide everything on the menu. That is the most bizarre, twisted excuse I've ever heard. What kind of service is this??? The waiter should have warned me ahead of time then so I could have ordered something else or there should have been a side note saying the banana is not offered at every branch. At least something!

They finally took the two melting dishes away. The manager, all huffy puffy, comes up and says he will charge me anyway cause he still does not understand how it affects the taste of the ice cream. I feel like I'm talking in circles...I told him I really didn't care, since I wasn't gonna pay anyways, he could charge whatever he wanted... the bill was just gonna sit there.

10 minutes later, the two melted dishes came back, with two chunks of banana in each. I shook my head, they had obviously just ran out to get some and hoped that I would pay. I did....just cause they tried in the end.

Unfortunately for them though, I've also met their boss at the main office and boy is he going to get an earful when I see him again.

p.s. Sorry for the infrequent posts of late. Too many things happening....there will be updates this weekend when I get some free time. Tales of snakes, scorpions, and a goat's penis??? to come.

5 Comments:

At 4/19/2006 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I support you 100% in that!! Banana, goats penis, whatever.... i want what i ordered!!

 
At 4/19/2006 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The banana doesn't affect the taste of the ice cream" bit is REALLY funny! Reminds me of the time my friend and I were raising our concerns to a hotel owner (they told us the wrong check-out time, then moved out stuff to another room without asking our permission) but she responded repeatedly with "but your problems aren't MY problems! why do you keep bringing it up with me?" We were at a loss.

 
At 4/19/2006 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was the f'ing FUNNIEST thing i ever heard! I just laughed out soooo loud the entire singapore airport is staring @ me! I had to tell my parents the story! They're cracking up too. You go and close that asswipe down like we do here. Hopefully, I'll see you soon!

 
At 4/19/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger snowtweety said...

Jen, are you really coming to Saigon ?!!!! And I thought you said you'd never step foot into this country again.

 
At 4/24/2006 5:26 PM, Blogger r. streitmatter-tran said...

okay, the proof is posted. I have uploaded images on my blog of the menu and the sad excuse for a sundae.

http://www.diacritic.org/blog/archives/2006/04/life_in_vietnam.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home