grandma's story


I went to Da Nang for a couple of days. It was raining the whole time, so I didn't do that much besides stay in to watch korean soap operas with my grandma and being fattened up by the relatives. They seemed determined to keep me in a constant state of food coma. I ate so much, my stomach is still recovering. Didn't want to touch any food for a full day when I got back into Saigon last night. Another thing about Da Nang during the rainy season is the mosquitos. They seem to have multiplied exponentially, prolly cause they breed in water. I ended up with about 20 mosquito welts on my arms, legs, and feet. I was wearing long sleeves too!!! Freaking mutant mosquitos bite through fabric!

Anyways, during one of these days inside, grandma begins telling me a story of the day of my birth. She remembers being in the delivery room when she saw my feet come out first. The doctors thought she was getting anxious, so asked her to leave. In her worried state, she left the hospital and began walking home. Along the way, she sees a 'xe om', motorbike taxi. He tells her to hop on and that he'll drive her. She didn't even ask him how much the fare was. It wasn't until they were heading up this road where there were barely any lights that she starting thinking that it was strange that he didn't ask for a price. Quickly thinking of what she might have gotten herself into, she moved her watch from her wrist and tucked it under her armpits. She then took out her earrings and put them under her tougue. Repeatedly giving him addresses of places near the police station, she told him she had no money on her and if he would take her to one of her relatives' homes, she could ask them to pay him when he dropped her off. The man had begun groping around for jewerly and money. Since he was reaching backwards with one hand, he couldn't reach her armpit, so could not feel the watch. Finally he drops my grandmother off and speeds off, certain that if he stuck around, she would have him arrested. Wow... and then she blames me for coming out feet first....

3 Comments:

At 10/08/2005 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An amazing story with a funny ending!

Your grandmother seems very sharp and quick witted.

- J

 
At 10/10/2005 3:43 PM, Blogger snowtweety said...

- J? Is this Jack, Jo, or Joe?

 
At 10/11/2005 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jibba Jack Jibskowski! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home